Today was a luscious lemony day 🍋
We relaxed, cooked, and ate this first Sunday in August. It’s hard to believe school starts in a few weeks. The Lemon Caper Artichoke Chicken is a version of my friend Elizabeth’s. Elizabeth is a fabulous cook who doesn’t love to cook. I named it E’s surprise chicken 💛 The cookies are a combination of several recipes I’ve made over the years. In our previous home we had rosemary bushes as shrubs flanking our garden. I put rosemary on everything! Today we just have one small rosemary plant, but I still incorporate it into everything I can!
We plan to squeeze as much fun into the rest of the summer ☀️
Lemon Green Tea with local honey, Lemon Caper Artichoke Chicken, Lemon Rosemary Cookies
Lemon Green Tea with local honey
4 Green Tea bags ( I use Newman’s organic)
1 quart hot water
1/4 cup local honey
Juice of one lemon
1 quart tap water
1. Boil 1 quart water
2. Pour hot water over 4 teabags
3. Let tea steep 10 minutes
4. Add honey & lemon
5. Add 1 quart tap water
6. Serve over ice
7. Garnish with lemon slices
8. Refrigerate and enjoy over the next few days
Lemon Caper Artichoke Chicken
(E’s Chicken Surprise)
• 4 Boneless skinless chicken breasts
• 1 Yellow onion chopped
• 1 Teaspoon salt
• 1 Teaspoon pepper
• 1 Tablespoon olive oil
• 1 Cup chicken broth
• 2 Tablespoons ghee
• Juice of one lemon (slice after juicing)
• 1/4 cup capers
• 12oz jar marinated artichokes
• 1 Tablespoon of Arrowroot or thickener of your choice
I serve this over gf angel hair pasta or rice. Tonight, I used Two Brooks Farm Beulah Land Medley (whole long grain brown & wild red rice, field blend).
• Season the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper.
• Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy bottomed skillet over medium heat.
• Add the chicken and cook through, flipping halfway through cooking, about 10 minutes maybe longer depending on the thickness of your chicken breast.
• Remove the chicken to a plate and set aside.
• Add the onion, chicken broth and ghee to the skillet and bring to a boil. Let the chicken broth reduce by half, about 5 minutes.
• Add the lemon juice, lemon slices to the skillet and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 5 minutes.
• Add 1 Tablespoon arrowroot or thickeners of your choice.
• Add marinated artichokes & capers to the sauce and stir to combine.
• Return the chicken to the skillet and coat with the sauce. Cook 1 more minute to rewarm the chicken.
• Tonight I added asparagus to the skillet when I rewarmed the chicken at the end.
• Check temperature of chicken. Should be 165F.
• Serve over rice.
LEMON ROSEMARY COOKIE INGREDIENTS:
• 1 1/2 Cups cassava flour
• 1/2 Cup coconut flour
• 2 Teaspoons cream of tartar
• 1 Teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 Teaspoon psyllium husk
• 1/4 Teaspoon salt
• 1/2 Cup ghee
• 3/4 Cup granulated sugar of your choice (I used 1/4 c monkfruit, 1/4 beet sugar, 1/4 organic cane sugar)
• 2 eggs
• 1 Tablespoon Lemon Zest
• 1 Teaspoon Lemon Extract
• 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
• 1 Tablespoon milk of choice ( I used unsweetened coconut milk)
• 1 Teaspoon lemon juice
• 1/3 Cup powdered sugar of your choice ( I used powdered monkfruit)
• Garnish with lemon and rosemary
1. Preheat oven to 350F and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the flours, cream of tartar, baking soda, psyllium husk, and salt.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the ghee, sweetener, eggs, lemon zest, lemon extract, and lemon juice.
4. Mix in dry and liquid ingredients and combine to form dough.
5. Roll the individual cookies into 1-1 1/4″ balls. Flatten balls slightly for desired shape and bake for 10 minutes.
6. Cool ten minutes then glaze and garnish.
So friends…. Two questions:
How are you squeezing out every drop of summer? What are your favorite lemony recipes? I’d love to hear from you!