Winter Night Comfort Food
When it’s cold and you want to cook dinner without going out to the store, you improvise with what you have on hand. This tater tot casserole is so delicious you won’t even miss the beef. But if you do- add a pound of ground beef when sautéing your veggies.
Tater Tot Casserole
2 teaspoons olive oil to sauté
1 onion chopped
3 bell peppers (red, green, yellow) chopped
2 cloves of garlic minced
1 -15oz can black beans rinsed & drained
1 -15oz can corn rinsed & drained
1 -15oz can tomato sauce
1 – 10oz can Rotel tomatoes with juice
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 bag tater tots ( I used a combination of regular gluten-free tater tots & gluten-free sweet potato tater tots became that’s what I had on hand).
Cheese of your choice. I used a vegan smoked Gouda due to allergies.
I used an oven proof skillet for this one dish meal.
Preheat oven 400 degrees
1. Sauté onion, peppers, & garlic.
2. Add black beans, corn, tomato sauce, Rotel tomatoes, and seasoning. Simmer 10 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and add cheese on top.
4. Arrange frozen tater tots on top.
5. Bake 30-35 minutes. Tater tots should be golden and crispy. If tots aren’t as crispy as you like, broil for a minute or so making sure to watch.
It re-heats in the oven really well too!
PS: this is my daughter’s favorite brand of vegan cheese! We love Cheddar, Provolone, and Smoked Gouda!