For us Christmas is not what is under the tree but more importantly what is on the plate and who is around our table. We love sharing time, food, and fellowship from Thanksgiving to New Year’s in our home. Don’t get me wrong we love to go out to as well but worrying about food allergies can overshadow a joyful evening.
We also love brunch! Today on Christmas Eve we are having Egg Nog Waffles, fried chicken strips, and orange salad all allergy friendly with no gluten, dairy, tree nuts, peanuts, or soy.
Here are the recipes:
The Egg Nog waffles are super easy and the recipe is on the box of
King Arthur Flour Gluten Free All-Purpose Baking mix. The only changes I made:
1 tablespoon coconut sugar for regular sugar
1 cup coconut egg nog in place of regular milk
I omitted the vanilla because I wanted the egg nog flavor.
It makes three full waffles.
We love organic grade A maple syrup with our waffles.
The fried chicken strips
1 package fresh skinless boneless
chicken strips with 10 chicken strips
1 cup plain yogurt ( I used goat) buttermilk is an option if you can use dairy
1/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
1 cup King Arthur Flour Gluten Free All-Purpose Baking mix
1 cup Arrowroot
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons all purpose seasoning
Oil for frying (I used olive oil because of allergies)
1. In a bowl mix yogurt and milk together. It should be thick.
2. In a separate large bowl mix dry ingredients and spices.
3. Pour oil in cast iron skillet and heat.
4. Dredge 2 pieces chicken into yogurt mixture then flour mixture then into skillet with oil around 375 degrees.
5. Allow chicken to cook 2-3 minutes per side until an internal temperature of 165. I use a Thermapen to confirm.
6. I transfer the 2 cooked pieces of chicken to a cookie sheet with a cooling rack and place it in my oven at 350 degrees to stay warm while I continue this process until all 10 pieces are cooked. I am also cooking waffles and adding them to my pan in the oven too.
Super Easy Orange Salad
Unsweetened coconut chips
Peel and section cuties and place in a bowl. I use 6 cuties for every cup of coconut chips. Take into consideration that coconut chips come in different shapes and sizes. I sprinkled pomegranate arils for a festive touch. Marshmallows can be added too!
Merry Christmas 🎄